K-pop, Korean entertainment/culture, Korean fans/netizens [2014~]

Baekhyun says he doesn't understand depression/insomnia


Fan: I told him I was struggling from my depression. He sighed with a sad face and said, "I don't understand how people can become depressed or insomniac! You should live happily!"



Baekhyun: "I guess there are depressed people. To be honest, I don't understand how someone can become depressed or insomniac. Is it because you want to? (fans laugh) I'm not criticizing it and I know you can't force yourself to have positive thoughts all the time. But there are good people out there, like your friends and me. (fans laugh) I hope you guys see EXO members and me and always smile."

-

Pann: Controversial statement on depression

1. [+139, -4] He was thoughtless for saying that. Even though he later said stuff like "thank you for being born", why does he have to say he doesn't understand depression? The fans are going around to clarify his statement but they're a nonsense ㅋㅋ

2. [+129, -3] Of course it's a thoughtless statement. I don't understand why fans keep coming up with their own interpretations. Did Baekhyun speak in a foreign language or what ㅋㅋ Seeing how he said he was going to be honest, he truly meant that he didn't understand depression and insomnia ㅋㅋ

3. [+122, -3] The #1 cause of death for people in 20's and 30's is suicide and the biggest cause of suicide is depression. I'm upset that he's saying such careless words just because he himself hasn't suffered from depression. I listened to the full audio and I didn't understand him at all. How can he speak like that? The way he says he doesn't understand how one can become depressed or insomniac hurts my feelings.

4. [+34, -0] Such a legendarily trashy opinion ㅋㅋㅋㅋ I can see his class from the way he says he's going to be honest about it... A stupid thought that he doesn't understand about it just because he hasn't experienced it... He's no different from his past of insulting disabled people. He's at a position of receiving so much love, he should know how to keep his mouth shut. He can't even manage to do that... Of course, a person never changes...

5. [+31, -1] I got goosebumps at how his fans are worried about him getting criticized instead of the people he hurt with the statement. They're even making up fake interpretations. He became unlikeable for sure this time.

6. [+25, -0] He seemed empty-headed and ill-mannered from the start... tsk tsk. He should just keep his mouth shut.

Back To Top